Periodontal Surgery Near You
At Burlington Dentist, we understand the importance of healthy oral health. Sometimes, even with valiant oral hygiene efforts, gum diseases like periodontitis can occur, putting your oral and overall health at risk.
This is where periodontal surgery comes into play. Throughout this page on our website, we will walk you through what periodontal surgery is, why you might need it, and finally, the steps involved in the process.
What is Periodontal Surgery?
Periodontal surgery is a specialized procedure in the dental industry meant to treat bad cases of gum disease. The hope of periodontal surgery is to restore functionality back to your gums and rebuild the integrity of your jaw. The process is surgical and is essential when non-surgical treatments, like scaling, bacteria treatments and root planing, are not doing the trick.
Reasons to Get Periodontal Surgery
- You have gum disease: Periodontal surgery is often unnecessary if gum disease is caught early, too. However, it becomes necessary when gum disease reaches high severity. It will cause symptoms like gum recession, bone loss, soreness/ tenderness and constant bad breath.
- Restored oral confidence: Regain that feeling of a healthy mouth and quality of life by enjoying a beautiful smile that feels natural.
- Improved Oral Health: Once you have realized and addressed the gum disease, periodontal surgery will help as a form of protection for your oral health in the future. Furthermore, it will help reduce any issues that are linked to gum disease for an increase in overall well-being.
- Preservation of your teeth/mouth: In getting periodontal surgery, it saves and preserves your natural teeth. Saving you money and hassle in the future. If you wait too long before treatment, your mouth mobility will die, and tooth loss/decay will be imminent.
- Improved confidence: By going through the restorative process of periodontal surgery, you can feel more comfortable with the look and feel of your smile.
Steps of Periodontal Surgery
Periodontal surgery is a slightly complex procedure that is carefully planned and executed to ensure the best possible outcome for oral health and gums’ safety.
The process will follow as:
- Consultation: Our well-experienced dentists will first thoroughly examine your gums. The dentists will look at X-rays and an up-close exam of your teeth. From there, they will share with you whether or not periodontal surgery is best for you now.
- Appointment: Once approved for the surgery, we will book you in for a convenient time to have your procedure.
- Anesthesia: A local anesthesia will be administered to ensure you are comfortable and pain-free throughout the procedure.
- Anesthesia: To access the root surfaces and remove all harmful bacteria, tartar and old tissue.
- Bone Grafting: Will be determined if there is a high volume of bone loss. If so, bone grafting will help regenerate bone tissue.
- Soft Tissue Grafting : Soft tissue grafting is necessary once our dentists have cleaned the gums. Soft tissue grafting will help cover up roots for a clean look.
- Closed incision: All incisions are closed and treated to prevent infection.
- Post-surgery: You’ll receive a package detailing the steps you need to take to ensure the safety of yourself and your gums.
At Dentist @ Burlington, we are committed to your oral health. Our experienced dental team is here to provide quality periodontal surgery, ensuring a brighter, happier smile going forward.
If you have questions about periodontal surgery or would like to schedule a consultation please do not hesitate to contact our Burlington dentist today!